Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Home

So I'm home. I drove in last night, and I'm home. It's a strange sensation to say that, as I sit in Sweet Eugene's, this coffee shop that is so familiar to me. As I sit here, listening to music, I smell the fragrances that were so common to me, and I think back to days where I was homeless and I vacated my days, vagrant on their patio, finding money for a donut with my friend Ernesto, who was homeless with me. And I sit here, and I think about times when I was fourteen years old and there was a stage in here, and bands would play, and I would drink coffee and listen to them. I would think about when I was twenty-one, and I was no longer homeless, and friends and I would play guitar all night on that patio.

Driving into town, I felt this giddy excitement fill my body. Without knowing it, my body began to hit the gas peddle harder, my eyes perused my surroundings at the new buildings and scenery that I haven't seen in the many, many months I have been gone. Looking at the beautiful women that make College Station so unique (if you haven't been here, then you don't know what I'm talking about).

There first thing I did when I came into town, I met up with my friend Felix. He took me to some brand new Japanese restaurant on University Ave., which name I can't remember right now. Walk into that new, highly trendy area of restaurants and coffee shops, I was immediately astounded by how chic everything looked. In the center of the large metropolitan complex was this large, complex fountain, with water exploding from center at least fifteen feet in the air from a center gorged deep in the ground. The circumference of this fountain was too large for me to even begin to estimate what it was.

The inside of the Japanese restaurant reminded me of something you would see in the movies when some people would eat in an upscale Manhattan restaurant. I remember saying to Felix, as we waited for our seat at the hibachi grill, "What ever happened to the good ole' days when College Station was just some small redneck town?" And of course, I was distracted by the women. I have been desensitized. Not to say there aren't beautiful women in San Antonio. It's just not as many in such a compacted space, and personally, I think the average in College Station is... well, I won't finish that statement (I sound so vain, don't I?).

Felix and I ate this amazing dinner, and hung out a bit at this coffee shop nearby the restaurant, where he showed me a frame to a bike he was about to put together. After which we parted ways and I went home.

This morning, I woke up early, hit a seven a.m. meeting that I found through a contact I had since 2003 here in CSTX, and now I sit in this coffee shop, watching familiar faces show up to work. I wonder what lies ahead in the next few days. I'm waiting for a good time to call my friend, to see what he's doing. See what's going on. I know I should study for biology, but I don't want to. I just got here, and I've been doing the school thing for this past few months.

Anyway. I know this was a random entry, but expect another one. I just wanted to write something about being home. I like it here.

No comments: